Motorist may have had heart attack
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.
The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.10pm yesterday and left the main road between Ipswich and Lowestoft blocked for several hours.
The driver was pronounced dead at the scene and his female passenger was taken by air ambulance to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
The woman, thought to be the victim's wife, was seriously injured. She was said to be in a "stable" condition last night, although suffering from multiple fractures.
You may also want to watch:
Police, fire and ambulance crews were all called to the scene of the crash.
Fire crews from Wrentham, Southwold and Lowestoft had to free the couple from the wreckage of their car.
- 1 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
- 2 Man in his 80s seriously injured after crash near Copdock
- 3 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 60 sausage dogs enjoy picnic in Ipswich's Christchurch Park
- 6 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 7 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 8 Did you go to Ipswich's Festival of Wheels? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 9 Driver puts out car fire in A12 blaze
- 10 Revealed: Suffolk's most viewed homes for sale in July
As rescue attempts were made by the emergency crews, other police officers set up diversions through nearby villages. The main road was blocked for three hours following the accident.
The accident happened as the couple's car was travelling southbound along the A12 towards Ipswich.
In what Suffolk police described as a "single vehicle accident", the car left the carriageway and went into trees at the side of the road.
It is believed the victim might have suffered a heart attack and died before the crash.
Suffolk police are not naming the couple until their next of kin have been informed.