Motorist may have had heart attack
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.
The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.10pm yesterday and left the main road between Ipswich and Lowestoft blocked for several hours.
The driver was pronounced dead at the scene and his female passenger was taken by air ambulance to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
The woman, thought to be the victim's wife, was seriously injured. She was said to be in a "stable" condition last night, although suffering from multiple fractures.
You may also want to watch:
Police, fire and ambulance crews were all called to the scene of the crash.
Fire crews from Wrentham, Southwold and Lowestoft had to free the couple from the wreckage of their car.
- 1 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 4 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 5 Ipswich Hospital gets new tech to stop people overpaying for parking
- 6 Man in 30s dies in serious crash between two cars in Wherstead
- 7 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
- 9 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 10 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
As rescue attempts were made by the emergency crews, other police officers set up diversions through nearby villages. The main road was blocked for three hours following the accident.
The accident happened as the couple's car was travelling southbound along the A12 towards Ipswich.
In what Suffolk police described as a "single vehicle accident", the car left the carriageway and went into trees at the side of the road.
It is believed the victim might have suffered a heart attack and died before the crash.
Suffolk police are not naming the couple until their next of kin have been informed.