Motorist may have had heart attack
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.
A MOTORIST has died after his car left the road and hit a tree before bursting into flames.
The accident happened on the A12 at Wangford, near Southwold, at about 12.10pm yesterday and left the main road between Ipswich and Lowestoft blocked for several hours.
The driver was pronounced dead at the scene and his female passenger was taken by air ambulance to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
The woman, thought to be the victim's wife, was seriously injured. She was said to be in a "stable" condition last night, although suffering from multiple fractures.
Police, fire and ambulance crews were all called to the scene of the crash.
Fire crews from Wrentham, Southwold and Lowestoft had to free the couple from the wreckage of their car.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 8 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 9 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 10 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
As rescue attempts were made by the emergency crews, other police officers set up diversions through nearby villages. The main road was blocked for three hours following the accident.
The accident happened as the couple's car was travelling southbound along the A12 towards Ipswich.
In what Suffolk police described as a "single vehicle accident", the car left the carriageway and went into trees at the side of the road.
It is believed the victim might have suffered a heart attack and died before the crash.
Suffolk police are not naming the couple until their next of kin have been informed.