MP fights for 'death row' prisoner
SUFFOLK MP John Gummer is in America today to help stop the execution of a former Felixstowe man.Mr Gummer, MP for Suffolk Coastal, flew to Texas yesterday to attend a hearing in the case of John "Jackie" Elliott, who was convicted of rape and murder 16 years ago.
SUFFOLK MP John Gummer is in America today to help stop the execution of a former Felixstowe man.
Mr Gummer, MP for Suffolk Coastal, flew to Texas yesterday to attend a hearing in the case of John "Jackie" Elliott, who was convicted of rape and murder 16 years ago.
Mr Elliott is due to be executed in 11 days, but he could be given a reprieve if the court rules that crucial evidence, which could prove key prosecution witnesses lied during the trial, can now be DNA tested using modern technology.
"I am taking the extraordinary step of flying to the US because recent investigations have uncovered critical problems with Jackie's conviction that cannot be ignored," the MP said.
"I am confident that, realising how concerned the British people are, the Texan authorities will commute the death penalty to allow time to prevent any wrongful and irrevocable action.
Mr Gummer is also due to meet the Texan Assistant Secretary of State and the Chair of the Pardons and Parole Board to make Elliott's case.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 4 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 5 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 6 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 7 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 8 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 9 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
- 10 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut