MP fights for 'death row' prisoner
SUFFOLK MP John Gummer is in America today to help stop the execution of a former Felixstowe man.Mr Gummer, MP for Suffolk Coastal, flew to Texas yesterday to attend a hearing in the case of John "Jackie" Elliott, who was convicted of rape and murder 16 years ago.
SUFFOLK MP John Gummer is in America today to help stop the execution of a former Felixstowe man.
Mr Gummer, MP for Suffolk Coastal, flew to Texas yesterday to attend a hearing in the case of John "Jackie" Elliott, who was convicted of rape and murder 16 years ago.
Mr Elliott is due to be executed in 11 days, but he could be given a reprieve if the court rules that crucial evidence, which could prove key prosecution witnesses lied during the trial, can now be DNA tested using modern technology.
"I am taking the extraordinary step of flying to the US because recent investigations have uncovered critical problems with Jackie's conviction that cannot be ignored," the MP said.
You may also want to watch:
"I am confident that, realising how concerned the British people are, the Texan authorities will commute the death penalty to allow time to prevent any wrongful and irrevocable action.
Mr Gummer is also due to meet the Texan Assistant Secretary of State and the Chair of the Pardons and Parole Board to make Elliott's case.
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 3 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 4 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 7 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 8 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
- 9 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
- 10 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich