MP lead protest against phone mast
TORY MP David Ruffley is leading a protest against extending a mobile phone mast in Stowupland, near Stowmarket.He is one of a long list of objectors who has written to complain about plans by mobile phone company Hutchinson3G which want to extend a 15m mast at Green Farm in the village by 6m to 21m.
TORY MP David Ruffley is leading a protest against extending a mobile phone mast in Stowupland, near Stowmarket.
He is one of a long list of objectors who has written to complain about plans by mobile phone company Hutchinson3G which want to extend a 15m mast at Green Farm in the village by 6m to 21m.
Yet Mid Suffolk district council was today set to give the go-ahead to the proposal despite a chorus of disapproval from people living nearby.
Protestors have said that the mast is not needed – and the company, which owns mobile phone company Orange, should look harder to find an alternative site.
You may also want to watch:
The firm has also applied for permission to erect two antennae and three dishes on the new mast as well as installing an equipment cabin at ground level.
Resident Keith Wellaham, who lives 100 metres away from the proposed site, said that the community was worried about health fears surrounding mobile phone masts.
- 1 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 2 Anger as 'selfish' fly-tippers dump couch in Ipswich street
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 4 Man arrested over Cardinal Park stabbing
- 5 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 6 Seafront theatre set for big improvements and balcony dining
- 7 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next month
- 8 Ipswich man in court accused of setting light to car
- 9 Nadia Cenci to get equality training after 'virtually no racism' tweet
- 10 Warning of lightning strikes across Suffolk as stormy weather continues
"With all these attachments it's obviously going to have a bigger impact on the countryside," he said.
Mr Ruffley, in whose constituency Stowupland falls, has campaigned against planting mobile masts in the countryside before.
He was unavailable for comment today.