Mum's agony over man's bonfire death
A MOTHER today paid a moving tribute to her “special hearted” son who died after falling into a bonfire.The memory of Damian Darwin Stewart, 30, continues to give his family and friends love and strength, she said.
A MOTHER today paid a moving tribute to her “special hearted” son who died after falling into a bonfire.
The memory of Damian Darwin Stewart, 30, continues to give his family and friends love and strength, she said.
Mr Stewart's mother, Greeba, made her first public comment on last month's tragedy when she wrote a heartfelt message to her son.
Mr Stewart was badly burned when he fell into a bonfire at the back of his home in Camden Road, off Foxhall Road in Ipswich, and died the next day.
You may also want to watch:
His mother thanked everyone who had supported her and said: “Over the last few weeks many thoughts and words have gone through my head. I think one of the most important words is HEART.
“On February 12th I didn't feel my heart had been broken, it wasn't that kind, I felt my heart ripped from my body.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
“With all the help I have had from my beautiful family, friends and all of you, my heart managed to find a strength.
“There are a lot of people I should mention personally but I won't for the fear of missing someone out and hurting their heart.
“Instead I am going to say you all know in your heart the part you have played in Damian's life.
“Damian has left us, taking with him a big heart. We are all left with a piece of Damian in our hearts, giving us love and strength. I ask you all to treasure Damian in your hearts forever.
“Today we celebrate the life of one special man with one special heart.
“Damian my son, my heart.”
An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the death of Mr Stewart.
Suffolk Police said there were no suspicious circumstances but alcohol may have played a part in the accident.
Mr Stewart died at the specialist burns unit in Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford.
Last month friends at The Heathlands pub in Foxhall Road, where Mr Stewart was a regular, raised more than £700 in a collection for him.
Would you like to pay a tribute to Mr Stewart? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org