Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 7°C

Search

Mum tells how she stopped 'abduction'

PUBLISHED: 20:16 28 September 2002 | UPDATED: 12:43 03 March 2010

MUM-of-three Vanessa Corkhill has told of how she believes she stopped a man from luring two young boys in to his car.

The Felixstowe mum has further raised fears that the recent accostings of young children in the resort could lead to every parent's nightmare - the disappearance of a child.

MUM-of-three Vanessa Corkhill has told of how she believes she stopped a man from luring two young boys in to his car.

The Felixstowe mum has further raised fears that the recent accostings of young children in the resort could lead to every parent's nightmare – the disappearance of a child.

She interrupted a stranger who had been asking two boys – one aged 15 and the other 11 – personal questions about who they were and what schools they attended.

Since August there have been six accosting incidents in the Felixstowe area, leading to many worried parents stopping their children from playing outside, and others changing their working hours to walk them to and from school.

Mrs Corkhill, 32, of Butley Road, Felixstowe, said: "I shudder to think how far it could have gone had I not looked out and seen the boys with him.

"Even if he is innocent of any wrong-doing, people must be more aware of not talking to children as it is the kind of behaviour that worries parents."

Mrs Corkhill was seeing a friend out of her home at 7.30pm on Monday when she saw a man standing outside talking to two young boys who lived nearby.

Concerned, she stopped to keep a watchful eye on the man as he talked to the youngsters. It was getting dark and the boys looked bothered by the man talking to them. After a while she attracted the boys' attention and they ran over to her, leaving the man stood by his car.

They told her the stranger had driven past them two or three times before getting out of his white car to ask where a girl called Jenna lived in the road. But Mrs Corkhill became extremely concerned that the man had asked how old they were and which schools they went.

As soon as the man had left the road she made sure the young boys walked home safely and informed the police, giving them the registration number of the man's car.

Mrs Corkhill, who has daughters, Saffron, three, Sienna, one, and Amber, 11, who goes to Deben High with the boys who were approached, said: "I cannot let my 11-year-old daughter out alone any longer, and now if the kids want to play outside in the front gardens me and the other neighbours have to be constantly looking out for them."

Police have details of the man and are due to interview him.

A police spokeswoman said: "We would encourage people to report any incidents of this nature but in some cases there may be innocent explanations for these events. We would ask any one with any information to get in touch.

"But people should not be unnecessarily worried for their children's safety because of recent events."

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists