Mum tells of tumble dryer fire
A MOTHER spoke of her anger today, after a nearly-new tumble dryer caught fire and filled her home in smoke. Firefighters were called to Chapel Road, in Old Newton when smoke began pouring out of the faulty tumble dryer at around 3pm yesterday .
A MOTHER spoke of her anger today, after a nearly-new tumble dryer caught fire and filled her home in smoke.
Firefighters were called to Chapel Road, in Old Newton when smoke began pouring out of the faulty tumble dryer at around 3pm yesterday .
The woman, who lives at the address with her husband and three teenage children, said: "The firefighters said we were very lucky that we were at home and that we noticed it so quickly.
"We are bitterly disappointed in a tumble dryer that is under two years old. I left it on the day before and went to work so we were lucky. You can't trust it."
You may also want to watch:
The woman, who declined to be named, was upstairs with her sister and two other friends when the electric "tripped" off.
This prompted them to investigate what had happened, and it was then that they noticed the plastic on the tumble dryer was melting.
- 1 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 2 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Big Hoot revealed as latest Ipswich art trail for 2022
- 6 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 7 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
She said: "There was no flames when we came down, it was just the plastic melting. With the door being closed, it acted as a kind of fire door.
"It was only when we opened it that it went off. There was quite a bit of smoke and we used the fire extinguisher on it."
The four women in the house at the time of the incident were all given oxygen as a precaution, following the incident.
Fire crew from Stowmarket and Needham Market attended the incident, which was brought under control by 3.20pm.
It is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in the tumble dryer.
All the clothes which were inside the dryer will now have to be thrown out, and the woman said she plans to make an insurance claim.