Murder charged teen to appear via video for first hearing after two men died in double-stabbing
- Credit: Archant
A teenager charged with murder, following the deaths of two men from stab wounds in Ipswich, will appear via a video link in court tomorrow.
The 17-year-old boy was arrested on Thursday afternoon on suspicion of murder after two men were stabbed at the West Meadows travellers’ site in Ipswich.
The teenager, who is from Ipswich, was arrested shortly after 1.30pm on Thursday around the Paper Mill Lane area in Bramford, shortly after two men were taken to hospital with stab wounds.
Today, Suffolk police formally identified the two victims as 32-year-old Barry Street and Nathan Oakley, 18, who are both from Ipswich.
Suffolk Constabulary officers were called around 1.15pm on Thursday to the West Meadows travellers’ site to reports that a man in his 30s had been stabbed.
The man, who has been identified as Street, collapsed by the site entrance and was rushed to Ipswich Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
At 1.30pm, a man in his late teens who has since been identified as Oakley was also rushed to hospital in a car having sustained stab wounds.
Both died shortly after.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
Officers have remained at both Ipswich Hospital, which remained open as normal during the incident, and the travellers’ site while an investigation is ongoing.
On Friday evening, detectives were granted an extension of the custody of the 17-year-old, who has now been charged.
He has been remanded in custody and will appear at Ipswich Youth Court via video link for a first hearing on Monday.
The Home Office carried out post-mortem examinations on the two victims earlier today, and confirmed that both men had died as a result of stab wounds.
Officers continuing to investigate the double-stabbing are still appealing for witnesses to come forward, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone with dash cam footage who drove past the West Meadows site entrance on Thursday afternoon.
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk police on 101.