Museum Street in Ipswich reopened after suspected gas leak this morning
- Credit: Archant
A road in Ipswich has been reopened after a suspected gas leak forced the evacuation of a three storey building this morning.
Fire crews were called to Fraser House in Museum Street shortly before 8.40am when people working in offices there smelt gas.
Two appliances were sent to the scene and investigations started.
Station Commander John Southgate from Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the National Grid had also been asked to attend.
However a gas leak was not discovered and once the area was declared safe it was reopened to the public.
You may also want to watch:
During the fire service’s initial response Mr Southgate said: “Tenants inside occupying office space smelt a strong gas smell throughout the building,” he said.
“We’ve evacuated the building and are carrying out our own investigations.
- 1 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 4 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 6 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 7 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
“We’ve isolated the gas supply and national grid are now here so they are carrying out more expert analysis of where the source might be.”
Mr Southgate added all three above-ground floors of the building had been evacuated along with the car park in the basement.
He also said around 10 people were in the building at the time of the evacuation but that all precautions had to be taken.