Search

Museum Street in Ipswich reopened after suspected gas leak this morning

PUBLISHED: 16:22 03 September 2015 | UPDATED: 11:11 04 September 2015

Fire crews were called to Fraser House in Museum Street, Ipswich after a suspected gas leak was reported

Fire crews were called to Fraser House in Museum Street, Ipswich after a suspected gas leak was reported

Archant

A road in Ipswich has been reopened after a suspected gas leak forced the evacuation of a three storey building this morning.

Fire crews were called to Fraser House in Museum Street shortly before 8.40am when people working in offices there smelt gas.

Two appliances were sent to the scene and investigations started.

Station Commander John Southgate from Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the National Grid had also been asked to attend.

However a gas leak was not discovered and once the area was declared safe it was reopened to the public.

During the fire service’s initial response Mr Southgate said: “Tenants inside occupying office space smelt a strong gas smell throughout the building,” he said.

“We’ve evacuated the building and are carrying out our own investigations.

“We’ve isolated the gas supply and national grid are now here so they are carrying out more expert analysis of where the source might be.”

Mr Southgate added all three above-ground floors of the building had been evacuated along with the car park in the basement.

He also said around 10 people were in the building at the time of the evacuation but that all precautions had to be taken.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star