Mystery midwife come forward

PUBLISHED: 15:00 17 September 2001 | UPDATED: 10:31 03 March 2010

THE mystery midwife who was called on help a Needham Market couple admitted to the Evening Star that she was "terrified" when she helped deliver their baby in rush hour traffic.

THE mystery midwife who was called on help a Needham Market couple admitted to the Evening Star that she was "terrified" when she helped deliver their baby in rush hour traffic.

After an appeal for the mystery woman to come forward eventually Carol Thorrington contacted the Star and said she had been the Good Samaritan.

The drama unfolded in rush hour traffic as Wannipa and Iain Norman raced against time to reach the maternity block. When it was clear this was not going to happen they pulled up and let nature take its course and their daughter Taisha Janelle was born in her dad's van.

Mrs Thorrington, of Chatsworth Crescent, Ipswich said it was a real shock when she heard Iain Norman shouting for help. "I had just pulled up in my car and he said, "quick you have got to help me," I thought they had had an accident and this was the last thing I expected."

Mrs Thorrington who has grown up children has absolutely no medical training but said there was no time to be squeamish.

"Everyone was panicking, when you are caught like that it is hard to know what to do. I just took over the phone and was relaying all the instructions. I wasn't squeamish at all, it was a case of doing all I could to help and then waiting for the ambulance to take over. At one point he had his hand on the baby's head as if he was trying to stop it coming out."

The labour had begun back at the Needham Market home of the couple, who met at a martial arts event in Norfolk when Wannipa was visiting from Bangkok.

But with the nearest available midwife in Hadleigh they decided to make the dash to Ipswich. It was when the baby's head started to show that decorator Mr Norman's DIY skills were all but exhausted and he called on Mrs Thorrington for help. The untimely entrance took place in Picton Avenue, Ipswich in the front seat of Mr Norman's van. At the time he said they were eternally grateful to the "well-timed angel" who had helped them.

Mrs Thorrington said she had been wondering if she would ever hear from them again and that she was so pleased when she read their story and knew that mother and baby were fine.

"They were such a lovely couple and even the mother managed to say thank you after she had just given birth. I telephoned my daughter after it had happened and she could not believe it, this is the sort of thing you see on television and don't expect it to happen to you.

"If it happened again I wouldn't hesitate to help out only this time I would be more in control we just didn't want anything to go wrong this time. It was all so quick that little girl wasn't waiting for anything," she said.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star