Mystery of doctor's murder and suicide
WHEN 11-year-old Ani Chiti went to sleep he had a mother, father and brother. He awoke an orphan hours later after a mystery double murder and suicide. Police were today trying to unravel the riddle of why Ani's father - a doctor at Ipswich Hospital - apparently murdered his wife, then killed himself and his two-year-old son.
By Colin Adwent
WHEN 11-year-old Ani Chiti went to sleep he had a mother, father and brother. He awoke an orphan hours later after a mystery double murder and suicide.
The youngster slept as his mum Dr Anupama Chiti was knifed to death by his dad, Dr Jayaprakash Rao Chiti, at their Rushmere St Andrew home.
The boy's father then drove to the Orwell Bridge where, clutching his younger son, two-year-old Pranau, he plunged 160ft to their deaths.
You may also want to watch:
When police traced an abandoned Toyota which had been left on the bridge, back to Seckford Close, Rushmere, they found the 11-year-old was the family's only survivor.
Snuggled up in bed, apparently unaware his mother was lying dead in his parents' bedroom, the boy was softly woken by police and taken from the house.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
He is now too traumatised to talk and was being care for by friends until relatives arrive in Suffolk from elsewhere in the country.
FULL STORY AND BACKGROUND IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR