Name needed for new bridge
NAME that bridge!That was the call today as work to build a new bridge across the River Orwell linking the new Fairview estate with West End Road got underway.
NAME that bridge!
That was the call today as work to build a new bridge across the River Orwell linking the new Fairview estate with West End Road got underway.
The new bridge, for pedestrians and cyclists, will link the new estate directly to the town centre. Work on the structure is due to continue all week, and it is not expected to be open to the public until February next year.
It is set to become a major landmark for the town - and today The Evening Star is looking for a name for this major new addition to the Ipswich skyline.
It will link a major housing estate with an important office area, being near the borough's Grafton House offices, the county's Endeavour House headquarters, the Crown Court building and - in future - the new magistrates' court.
It is also only a decent free-kick away from Ipswich Town's Portman Road ground.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 8 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 9 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 10 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
The bridge will enable residents of the new estate easy access to the Russell Road area of the town, and the first shop to open under the borough council's Grafton House headquarters, a Premier Foods store, is due to open next week.
It is a feature of the new development and was a condition of the planning permission when Fairview were given the go-ahead for the development.
But the bridge needs a new name - and we want our readers to decide what it should be.
It could be:
1) Cardinal Wolsey Bridge
2) The Portman Bridge.
3) Fairview Bridge
4) West End Bridge
5) Reavell Bridge (after the former engineering works on the Fairview site)
6) Ranelagh Bridge
Let us know your favourite by writing to: Bridge name, Evening Star Newsdesk, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can vote online at our website: www.eveningstar.co.uk
We shall be following the construction of the bridge over the next few days - see The Evening Star to watch the new landmark taking shape.