Napalm scare at school
BOMB disposal experts were called to a top Suffolk public school after a pupil took in what was thought to be home-made napalm, it was revealed today.The enthusiastic GCSE chemistry student at Woodbridge School made the material after gathering information from an internet site.
BOMB disposal experts were called to a top Suffolk public school after a pupil took in what was thought to be home-made napalm, it was revealed today.
The enthusiastic GCSE chemistry student at Woodbridge School made the material after gathering information from an internet site.
Afraid that the material was highly dangerous, teachers alerted the emergency services as it needed to be disposed of correctly.
Police attended and after initial investigations felt the safest move was to call in the Army to analyse and remove the substance.
Officers from the Bomb Disposal Squad based at Colchester attended the fee-paying school and disposed of the material safely and without incident.
The youngster has since learned his lesson after a stiff talking to from teachers and police about the dangers of using such recipes from the web.
- 1 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 2 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 8 Revealed: The latest Covid rates in every Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 10 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
Police spokeswoman Anne-Marie Breach said officers were called to the school in Burkitt Road on Monday at 2.40pm after a report of a "potentially dangerous unknown substance".
She said: "We then informed the Bomb Disposal Squad and they attended at 4.10pm and by 4.30pm they had removed the substance.
"At this stage, our investigations are ongoing in to this incident."
An Army spokesman confirmed that officers had attended.
He said: "We dealt with a home-made flammable substance. It was taken away and disposed of – there was no need to take any special precautions.
"We can confirm that there was no napalm involved at all."
First reports had suggested the material was a napalm-like substance, though police have stressed it is not known what it was.
Woodbridge School press officer Mary Rudd said: "A pupil in year 10 returned from the half term holiday with a substance he had made at home and being a very enthusiastic chemistry pupil he showed it to his chemistry teacher.
"The pupil had been following instructions from the internet to make the substance and because its make-up was unknown the teacher followed the standard procedure for such an incident.
"This involved sealing the substance in a unit in the chemistry laboratory, moving the pupils from one adjoining room and contacting the health and safety officer on site."
The school was not evacuated and the authorities said that it had followed exactly the correct procedures for such an incident.
Mrs Rudd said: "At that stage there was no proof what the substance might have been but it was very important to deal with the substance correctly."
n. What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org