New bridge takes shape across river
AS work to build a new bridge across the River Orwell continues today, more naming suggestions for the striking structure have flooded in.The impressive bridge, which will cater for pedestrians and cyclists, will eventually link the new Fairview estate with West End Road and the town centre.
AS work to build a new bridge across the River Orwell continues today, more naming suggestions for the striking structure have flooded in.
The impressive bridge, which will cater for pedestrians and cyclists, will eventually link the new Fairview estate with West End Road and the town centre.
The building project has reached a key stage with the central elements of the structure being lowered into place. It is hoped the bridge will be open by February.
However, the latest addition to Ipswich's ever-changing skyline still remains nameless.
The Evening Star set readers the challenge of coming up with their own naming ideas - and you have responded brilliantly. Developers Fairview has also offered a £500 cash prize for the person pulled out of the hat to name the bridge.
A number of you called on developers Fairview to honour Ipswich and England manager Sir Bobby Robson by naming it after the popular Geordie.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 5 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 8 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
Other suggestions included West End Bridge, Priory Bridge, The Viking Bridge, The Wolsey Bridge and The Cobbold Bridge.
One of the more unusual options came from Peter Phillips who, after admitting he was not a football fan, plumped for The Richard Naylor Bridge, in tribute to the Blues' long-serving defender.
To submit your suggestion, either post the name to Name That Bridge, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com