New cancer centre celebration
IPSWICH Hospital's new Cancer Information Centre is holding an official celebration for everybody involved in its success.The centre, which has already helped hundreds of people, is holding the celebration on Thursday.
IPSWICH Hospital's new Cancer Information Centre is holding an official celebration for everybody involved in its success.
The centre, which has already helped hundreds of people, is holding the celebration on Thursday.
The centre, staffed by a specialist cancer information nurse, offers information and support to people affected by cancer.
It is run by The Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, cancer information charity CancerBACUP and the Cancer Campaign in Suffolk.
Dawn Cook, a CancerBACUP specialist cancer information nurse, first opened the doors of the centre two months ago. She has already offered advice and information to around 200 people.
Mrs Cook said: "It shows how much of a demand there is for this kind of service from people affected by cancer in Suffolk."
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 7 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 8 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 9 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
The Duke of Kent opened the building that houses the centre in October.
The construction of the building was funded by the fundraising charity Cancer Campaign in Suffolk.
In 2003, The Evening Star announced its support for the project and launched the Raise the Roof appeal. Donations were soon flooding in to help reach our £100,000 target.
CancerBACUP, part of the Department of Health coalition for cancer information, is the only national charity that specialises in providing information on all types of cancer.
The centre is open from 9am to 4.30pm on Mondays to Thursdays and 9am to 3pm on Fridays.