New CCTV issued in hunt for robber after elderly woman attacked in Victoria Street, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Fresh CCTV images are being released by Ipswich detectives investigating an attack that saw an elderly woman dragged to the ground by a robber.
Police have also issued details of the route taken by a man wearing dark clothing shortly before he was caught on camera knocking his 79-year-old victim to the ground in a bid to steal her handbag.
The elderly victim had parked outside Westgate Ward Social Club in Victoria Street at around 7.35pm when she was grabbed by the robber.
In the week since the attack, which happened on November 5, officers have been sifting through CCTV footage taken on the night.
They have now found two new images of a man they want to speak to in connection with the robbery – who walked along London Road, into Surrey Road, turned right into Prospect Street before heading towards the social club and Victoria Street.
Lead investigator Detective Chief Inspector Nick Power said: “Our officers are following a number of lines of enquiry to identify the person responsible for this horrendous crime and I am certain that several people will have passed him on his way to commit the robbery.
“We are grateful to all the members of the public who took the time to speak with officers on Sunday, but we have still not yet traced those witnesses that we know were in the area immediately before and after the attack. I am urging anyone who believes they may have been in the area, or who has any information regarding the suspect, to contact us immediately.”
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
More than 100 people were spoken to during anniversary checks carried out in Victoria Street on Sunday.
Police also want to trace four potential witnesses to the attack.
A man wearing trainers, black baggy trousers, a large black coat and a black baseball cap, is thought to have walked past the victim’s car and the suspect just before the robbery took place.
Three other people crossed Victoria Street moments after the attack happened. They came from the direction of the social club in Prospect Street.
The victim’s handbag – which is brown and had a phone in a glittery case, brown-framed bifocal glasses in a red case and a brown purse inside – has also still not been recovered.
To help police, call South CID at Landmark House on 101.
Or, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.