New church for Suffolk town
WORK is now well under way on the all-new St Clare's church in Framlingham.Almost 50 years to the day since the original St Clare's Roman Catholic church was built, the foundation stone for a new church has been laid.
WORK is now well under way on the all-new St Clare's church in Framlingham.
Almost 50 years to the day since the original St Clare's Roman Catholic church was built, the foundation stone for a new church has been laid.
Yesterday deacon Rev Michael Vipond, parish priest Father Tom Fenlon and Bishop Michael Evans, the bishop of East Anglia, gathered for a special ceremony at the site in Fore Street as the stone was laid.
The original church, built in July 1953, had long been in need of a revamp and was demolished two weeks ago.
Rev Vipond said: "It only took a day to pull it down! The new church will be fantastic for us all.
"Recently we've been trying to cram people in to a space only designed for about 95 people. The new church should comfortably seat 150."
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
The church is costing an estimated £110,000, much of which has been raised by members of the local community and friends of the church.
Rev Vipond said: "We have been extremely lucky because we've had tremendous donations and gifts from a lot of people. We've even had people from Framingham in the USA send us money.
"Their town was founded by former Framlingham resident Thomas Danforth and many have them have been over to Suffolk to visit.
"We've also had donations from all over the UK – even the Isle of Skye!"
Services for the congregation of St Clare's are being held at the nearby United Free Church while the building work takes place.
The new church is expected to be finished in time for Christmas.