New era dawns for UCS campus
THE dawn of a new era has come at University Campus Suffolk as education bosses unveiled their second phase of development on the Ipswich Waterfront.The next stage of progress at the Waterfront campus will see a brand new academic building open offering students state-of-the-art facilities including a range of scientific laboratories.
THE dawn of a new era has come at University Campus Suffolk as education bosses unveiled their second phase of development on the Ipswich Waterfront.
The next stage of progress at the Waterfront campus will see a brand new academic building open offering students state-of-the-art facilities including a range of scientific laboratories.
As well as the teaching space, students will be able to enjoy a new ground floor cafe and student's union, run by the students at the building 300 metres south of the flagship Waterfront building.
To celebrate the completion of the highest point of the new building staff at UCS, representatives from the architects and builders climbed up seven floors, enjoying the panoramic views of Ipswich in the glorious sunshine, to perform the topping out ceremony, yesterday
The tradition, which goes back thousands of years, was performed by Sarah Meelan, director of human resources and in charge of campus development at UCS five-weeks ahead of schedule.
She said: “It has been a fantastic achievement on so many levels. Not only do we have a new building being built with the support of public funding we are part of the continuing development of Ipswich's Waterfront. It is just amazing to see the changes in recent years.
- 1 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 2 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 3 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 4 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 5 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 6 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 7 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Ipswich MP renews support for food van fighting council's plans
- 10 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
“The students are really excited about the developments. It is vital for Suffolk to provide high quality education, it not only draws people in from outside the area but encourages people in Suffolk to aspire to take on further education.”
Mrs Meelan said despite the future development being clouded in uncertainty as public spending comes under pressure they are confident of achieving the next two stages of plans at the Waterfront campus. The new academic building will open to students in January 2011 with the new student accommodation due to open in June.