New forum launched for the disabled
A NEW forum is being set up to give disabled people living in mid Suffolk the chance to have their say on issues that affect them.
SUFFOLK: A new forum is being set up to give disabled people living in mid Suffolk the chance to have their say on issues that affect them.
Disability charity Optua is working with Mid Suffolk District Council to set up the Mid Suffolk Disability Forum and the partners are keen to hear from anyone with a learning, physical or sensory disability or mental health issue who is interested in getting involved.
The aim is to set up a group to represent the interests of all disabled people living in the Mid Suffolk area and enable them to talk about the issues they face.
It will also provide an opportunity for the council to consult with disabled people on any topics which directly affect them.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with a disability or those representing disability organisations are welcome to take part and the plan is to hold a first meeting of the forum in mid March when anyone interested will be invited to come along.
Optua were asked by Mid Suffolk to help with the setting up of the forum because of the charity's links with disabled people and its experience in setting up a similar forum in the Forest Heath area.
- 1 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 2 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 3 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 4 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
- 5 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 6 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 7 Ipswich woman who punched partner in face is ordered to pay compensation
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians
The Forest Heath Disability Forum is working very well and has already had some very positive results in addressing local issues and sharing ideas and information.
Linda Hoggarth, chairman of Optua, said the forum would be an excellent opportunity for there to be a “focus on disability issues”.
She said: “We are pleased to be working with Mid Suffolk District Council to set up a new forum for disabled people to discuss the issues that affect them. This should be a very useful way for disabled people in Mid Suffolk to come together and talk about the difficulties they face in their communities and to consider solutions to those difficulties.”
Anyone interested in the Forum can contact Optua on 01473 836777 or email email@example.com