New HGV Safety battle
HGV drivers arriving in Harwich port this month will be given special equipment designed to help them drive safely on the left-hand-side of the road.The department for transport will be handing out 4,000 Fresnel lenses to drivers in the hope they will reduce the number of sideswiping accidents at roundabouts.
HGV drivers arriving in Harwich port this month will be given special equipment designed to help them drive safely on the left-hand-side of the road.
The department for transport will be handing out 4,000 Fresnel lenses to drivers in the hope they will reduce the number of sideswiping accidents at roundabouts.
The lenses aid left-hand-drive vehicles by reducing driver's blind spots and helping them to see cars travelling on their inside.
Last winter 40,000 Fresnel lenses were distributed to HGV drivers travelling through Dover, helping reduced the number of sideswipe incidents in the south east from 23 per week to 11.
You may also want to watch:
The lenses will not be given out at Felixstowe however because most trucks using the port are right-hand-drive.
Derek Turner, the Highways Agency's director of traffic operations, said: “These lenses are placed on the passenger-side window, and give the driver a greater view of overtaking vehicles.”
- 1 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 2 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 3 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 6 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 7 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 8 Norwich Road closed after crash near BMW garage
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
What measures do you think would help reduce road traffic accident? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.