New HGV Safety battle
HGV drivers arriving in Harwich port this month will be given special equipment designed to help them drive safely on the left-hand-side of the road.The department for transport will be handing out 4,000 Fresnel lenses to drivers in the hope they will reduce the number of sideswiping accidents at roundabouts.
HGV drivers arriving in Harwich port this month will be given special equipment designed to help them drive safely on the left-hand-side of the road.
The department for transport will be handing out 4,000 Fresnel lenses to drivers in the hope they will reduce the number of sideswiping accidents at roundabouts.
The lenses aid left-hand-drive vehicles by reducing driver's blind spots and helping them to see cars travelling on their inside.
Last winter 40,000 Fresnel lenses were distributed to HGV drivers travelling through Dover, helping reduced the number of sideswipe incidents in the south east from 23 per week to 11.
The lenses will not be given out at Felixstowe however because most trucks using the port are right-hand-drive.
Derek Turner, the Highways Agency's director of traffic operations, said: “These lenses are placed on the passenger-side window, and give the driver a greater view of overtaking vehicles.”
- 1 Ann Summers on the move in Ipswich
- 2 Boys, 15 and 16, arrested after man injured in machete attack in Ipswich
- 3 First look at new Arlingtons as venue reopening today
- 4 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 5 Mapped: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in June
- 6 How it unfolded, as Town pick up a 2-1 victory at Forest Green
- 7 Customers in for 'real treat' when pub reopens after two years
- 8 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 9 Teenager from Felixstowe School sings at Olympic Park
- 10 Award winning Felixstowe family card shop turns 75
What measures do you think would help reduce road traffic accident? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.