New homes plan for former club site
NEW homes could be built on the site of the former 405 Club in Bader Close in Ipswich.The borough council has submitted an outline application to build homes on six acres of land in Bader close – including a residential care home or respite centre.
NEW homes could be built on the site of the former 405 Club in Bader Close in Ipswich.
The borough council has submitted an outline application to build homes on six acres of land in Bader close – including a residential care home or respite centre.
It also wants to offer two acres for a public open space, including children's play areas and possibly a community building.
However the council does not plan to develop the area itself and is making the application so the land can then be put on the market with a valid planning permission.
The land includes two redundant football pitches and a bowling green as well as the site of the former clubhouse which was demolished recently because it had become unsafe.
Part of the site is already being developed – eight houses and an eight-unit homeless persons' hostel are due to open next summer.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 6 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town
The council decided to go ahead with applying to redevelop the former sports pitches after talks with sporting bodies which confirmed it is better to have pitches as part of a larger sports complex because it is easier to manage them.
New pitches have been created at Gainsborough Sports Centre as part of the Ravenswood development.
The outline application is expected to be discussed by the borough's development committee early next year and if it is approved the land is expected to be offered for sale later in 2005.
Do you think new homes should be built on the former sports ground? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org