New light shed on seaside illuminations
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.
Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
Despite Suffolk Coastal District Council's best efforts to improve the coloured lights on the promenade over the past few years, the illuminations have been beset with problems.
Traders and residents have complained about the display, which cost more than £20,000, claiming it has never worked properly.
You may also want to watch:
Last summer it was agreed to take the illuminations down and put in place new lights, which it was promised would be better than ever for this season.
But so far only the cascading neon fountain lights on top of the lampposts have been put up and there is no sign of the strings.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 8 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 9 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 10 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
A council spokesman said it was hoped some of the lights would be in place to provide a show for the summer.
"The lights are important to Felixstowe and we are working as hard as we can to have the display back in place and better than before," he added.
"The fountains are already up and we are now working on getting the light strings in place, but this work is being done in three stages. We are talking to our contractors about the timetable for the work to get it done as soon as possible."