New light shed on seaside illuminations
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.
Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
Despite Suffolk Coastal District Council's best efforts to improve the coloured lights on the promenade over the past few years, the illuminations have been beset with problems.
Traders and residents have complained about the display, which cost more than £20,000, claiming it has never worked properly.
You may also want to watch:
Last summer it was agreed to take the illuminations down and put in place new lights, which it was promised would be better than ever for this season.
But so far only the cascading neon fountain lights on top of the lampposts have been put up and there is no sign of the strings.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 6 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 7 New walking trail explores 'key role' Suffolk played in Anglo-Saxon history
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 10 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
A council spokesman said it was hoped some of the lights would be in place to provide a show for the summer.
"The lights are important to Felixstowe and we are working as hard as we can to have the display back in place and better than before," he added.
"The fountains are already up and we are now working on getting the light strings in place, but this work is being done in three stages. We are talking to our contractors about the timetable for the work to get it done as soon as possible."