New light shed on seaside illuminations
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
VISITORS looking for the bright lights at Felixstowe this summer have been promised they will see some of them – but not all.
Tourism bosses have pledged some of the resort's strings of decorative seafront illuminations will be back in place, but said they could not guarantee all the work would be done ready for the season.
Despite Suffolk Coastal District Council's best efforts to improve the coloured lights on the promenade over the past few years, the illuminations have been beset with problems.
Traders and residents have complained about the display, which cost more than £20,000, claiming it has never worked properly.
Last summer it was agreed to take the illuminations down and put in place new lights, which it was promised would be better than ever for this season.
But so far only the cascading neon fountain lights on top of the lampposts have been put up and there is no sign of the strings.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 8 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 9 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
- 10 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
A council spokesman said it was hoped some of the lights would be in place to provide a show for the summer.
"The lights are important to Felixstowe and we are working as hard as we can to have the display back in place and better than before," he added.
"The fountains are already up and we are now working on getting the light strings in place, but this work is being done in three stages. We are talking to our contractors about the timetable for the work to get it done as soon as possible."