New look for busy junction
IPSWICH: One of the busiest junctions in town will be worth avoiding during the second half of the year while rebuilding work is under way.
The Duke Street roundabout is to be swept away and a new junction is to be created – controlled by traffic lights.
Traffic from Back Hamlet will no longer be able to join Fore Hamlet at the junction – it will become a one-way street for traffic heading out of town.
And traffic heading into town along Fore Hamlet will not be able to turn sharp left into Duke Street – it will be directed along Pownell Road.
Traffic from Duke Street will have to turn left into town, there will be no right turn up Fore Hamlet.
You may also want to watch:
The major work at the junction is due to start in about two months’ time – shortly after the Suffolk Show – and should be completed by the end of the year.
A spokeswoman for the county council warned there could be disruption while the work is underway and urged motorists to find alternative routes into the town centre where possible.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
She said: “This work will be done over the school summer holidays when the amount of traffic falls anyway but it will be difficult for drivers – and it will be an area to avoid if possible.
“We are sorry but there is no way to rebuild a junction and not cause problems while the work is underway – but it should make things flow a lot easier once it is completed.
Does the Duke Street junction need to be rebuilt? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com