New plan for former airport
DETAILS of how the former Ipswich Airport terminal building will become the centre of the growing Ravenswood community have been published.Ever since the 1930s-built terminal was listed by the government in the mid-1990s, it has been intended that it should be the centrepiece of the new development.
DETAILS of how the former Ipswich Airport terminal building will become the centre of the growing Ravenswood community have been published.
Ever since the 1930s-built terminal was listed by the government in the mid-1990s, it has been intended that it should be the centrepiece of the new development.
Part of the building will become a community centre, with the rest of it converted into 24 flats. A further 31 new homes will be built near it.
The development at the heart of Ravenswood is to be carried out by Cambridge-based Ashwell Property – as revealed by The Evening Star last September.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the terminal building, Ashwell Property will also develop other services for the community, including two food stores and 10 other shops.
It has already been suggested these may include a newsagent, a pharmacy and a bakery.
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 3 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 4 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
- 7 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
- 8 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 9 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 10 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
There will also be a new pub/restaurant, fast-food outlet, and health centre with two GP surgeries on the site.
The first work on the former airport site started in 1999 and the first homes were occupied by February 2000.
At the time it was expected to take 10 years to complete the development – but it has proved popular with home buyers and could be completed before then.
The development of the terminal area, which will include a "village green" complete with cricket square, should start in September and be completed by the end of next year.
This new development should help to confirm Ravenswood as a community rather than just another housing estate.
The area has already seen the opening of a new primary school in September 2001 which has pupils from the wider Priory Heath area as well as Ravenswood itself.