New post office fight
CONCERNED councillors have joined the fight to save another rural post office from closure.Melford Road Post Office in Sudbury is under threat of closure due to nationwide changes designed to safeguard the future of urban branches.
CONCERNED councillors have joined the fight to save another rural post office from closure.
Melford Road Post Office in Sudbury is under threat of closure due to nationwide changes designed to safeguard the future of urban branches.
But Sudbury town councillors this week voted to join the fight to try and save the sub-post office from closure and have agreed to write to postal bosses urging them not to close the outlet.
Town clerk Sue Brotherwood said: "Although the council recognises times are changing they feel there is a good argument for keeping this post office open.
You may also want to watch:
"Everybody feels it should be kept open because it provides a good service for people, especially the disabled and elderly, who live out of the town centre."
Postmistress Marilyn West has been handing out leaflets to try and gain public support to fight the possible closure plans.
- 1 CCTV images issued following theft from car in Ipswich
- 2 Waterfront restaurant with 145 wines crowned best in Ipswich
- 3 Police attend Ipswich Waterfront property as part of murder probe
- 4 Police make third arrest following Nacton stabbing
- 5 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 7 Officers making 'significant progress' in Victoria Hall murder case
- 8 'I couldn't stop smiling': Kesgrave Kitchen named best Ipswich café
- 9 Former charity worker denies fraud and will face trial
- 10 Lloyds Bank branch closes temporarily as staff self-isolate due to Covid
However Post Office Limited bosses say the outlet is earmarked for closure and have concluded that if the Melford Road branch is closed it would improve the long-term prospects of other branches in the area.
Moves have already been made to ensure the East Street branch in Sudbury is in a position to cope with the extra custom it would attract if the Melford Road closure goes ahead.
Anyone who would like to contact Post Office Limited about the future of the branch should write by February 3, 2003, to National Consultation Team, PO Box 641, St Albans AL1 5XN.