New post office fight
CONCERNED councillors have joined the fight to save another rural post office from closure.Melford Road Post Office in Sudbury is under threat of closure due to nationwide changes designed to safeguard the future of urban branches.
CONCERNED councillors have joined the fight to save another rural post office from closure.
Melford Road Post Office in Sudbury is under threat of closure due to nationwide changes designed to safeguard the future of urban branches.
But Sudbury town councillors this week voted to join the fight to try and save the sub-post office from closure and have agreed to write to postal bosses urging them not to close the outlet.
Town clerk Sue Brotherwood said: "Although the council recognises times are changing they feel there is a good argument for keeping this post office open.
You may also want to watch:
"Everybody feels it should be kept open because it provides a good service for people, especially the disabled and elderly, who live out of the town centre."
Postmistress Marilyn West has been handing out leaflets to try and gain public support to fight the possible closure plans.
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 7 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 8 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 9 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 10 Cheers! Ipswich pubs and restaurants welcome first indoor guests of 2021
However Post Office Limited bosses say the outlet is earmarked for closure and have concluded that if the Melford Road branch is closed it would improve the long-term prospects of other branches in the area.
Moves have already been made to ensure the East Street branch in Sudbury is in a position to cope with the extra custom it would attract if the Melford Road closure goes ahead.
Anyone who would like to contact Post Office Limited about the future of the branch should write by February 3, 2003, to National Consultation Team, PO Box 641, St Albans AL1 5XN.