New Rushmere centre underway
WORK on a multi-million pound complex, designed to act as a district centre for Rushmere St Andrew, is now well underway.As reported in the Evening Star last week, construction work has already begun on a state-of-the-art nursery which will provide up to 30 new jobs for the area.
WORK on a multi-million pound complex, designed to act as a district centre for Rushmere St Andrew, is now well underway.
As reported in the Evening Star last week, construction work has already begun on a state-of-the-art nursery which will provide up to 30 new jobs for the area.
The rest of the district centre, which will be built next to the water tower on the Bixley Farm estate, will comprise of a new £400,000 community hall and four shops.
With planning permission for the hall granted, Rushmere St Andrew parish council hope it will not be long before detailed plans are drawn up and builders are enlisted.
Chairman Bob Swain said: "We have contacted our architects and given them the go-ahead to do a full, detailed design. We hope these will be complete by July and then we can go out to tender with builders."
But the council are still faced with the problem of raising up to £250,000 towards the cost of the hall.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 5 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 8 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 9 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 10 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
Mr Swain said: "I think the majority of it will come from loans of some sort but we will be looking at involving the whole community in the fundraising. One possibility is a 'buy a brick' appeal."
It is thought the shops on the site will include a general stores, a chemist and some kind of takeaway.