New surgery to open soon
DOCTORS and health staff are putting the finishing touches to a £4million new one-stop health centre which has changed the face of Woodbridge.The centre is a two-storey building in a prominent position on the Notcutts garden centre site in Ipswich Road and it marks the first phase of a huge redevelopment of the large area of land.
DOCTORS and health staff are putting the finishing touches to a £4million new one-stop health centre which has changed the face of Woodbridge.
The centre is a two-storey building in a prominent position on the Notcutts garden centre site in Ipswich Road and it marks the first phase of a huge redevelopment of the large area of land.
Sheltered housing, a redeveloped garden centre, a public open space and more parking are also in the pipeline.
The surgery from Framfield House, St John's Street, is moving to the health centre. Suffolk Primary Care Trust is moving services from its Pytches Road clinic into the centre as well, and the clinic premises will in future be used by the Little St John's Street practice.
The new centre will include services and clinics including podiatry, physiotherapy, osteopathy, shiatsu, counselling, and a Hearing Care Centre that will ease the pressure on Ipswich Hospital.
Medical students from Cambridge University and hospital registrars will train at the centre and it will be a base for district nurses and health visitors.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 6 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town
The surgery caters for nearly 10,000 patients in a six-mile radius of Woodbridge and has occupied its current site since 1965.
Lorraine Foster, practice manager of Framfield House, said: ''For the vast majority of our patients the new location will be better because otherwise they were having to cross a busy junction in the town.
''The new building is wonderful and I think all the staff are so enthusiastic about working here. The partners were adamant from the word go that they wanted a nice building.
''They live locally and they did not want a big carbuncle here. The wooden cladding on the outside softens the building and I think it is lovely.''
The new building, to be known as Framfield Medical Centre, opens on Monday. The phone number is 01394 615500.