New traffic scheme gets going
WORK to create a revolutionary new traffic system on one of the busiest roads in Ipswich was due to start today.The Handford Road shared space scheme should transform the look of the road and is aimed at giving motor vehicles, cycles, and pedestrians equal rights on the road.
WORK to create a revolutionary new traffic system on one of the busiest roads in Ipswich was due to start today (Monday).
The Handford Road shared space scheme should transform the look of the road and is aimed at giving motor vehicles, cycles, and pedestrians equal rights on the road.
Work begins today at the Alderman Park entrance off Handford Road.
This part of the scheme will take two weeks and work will be carried out seven days a week. Handford Road will remain open but temporary traffic lights will be in operation.
You may also want to watch:
For the following two weeks Handford Road will be closed and diversions set up. Motorists heading into town will travel from West End Road to Civic drive via Princes Street.
Those heading out of town will go via Handford Road, Portman Road, Sir Alf Ramsey Way and West End Road.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 8 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 9 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
Temporary traffic lights will be installed at the West End Road/Sir Alf Ramsey Way junction to
help keep traffic flowing.
After this, work will begin on the Cullingham Road junction with Handford Road. Handford Road will remain open to traffic heading into town.
Motorists going out of town will need to follow the diversions.
This part of the scheme will take three weeks and traffic going into and coming out of Cullingham Road can turn right only.
Handford Road will then be closed for a two-week period so work on the main road can be completed. The road will then re-open while other work is undertaken.
Part of the Shared Space scheme involves removing all yellow lines along Handford Road but parking restrictions will remain in force.
One of the pelican crossings (near the Cullingham Road junction) will be moved along Handford Road (outside the BT building).
Advance warning signs of the road works have been placed on main routes around the town.