New warning after bogus caller
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.
The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
Suffolk police are now warning elderly people to be extra vigilant and not to let anyone into their homes without checking their identification.
The incident happened in Cavan Road, Ipswich at around 5.20pm yesterday when the pensioner opened the door to a man who said there were problems with his neighbour's drains and they needed to check his drainage system as well.
He let the man into his home and the pair got into conversation in the kitchen and before going into the garden to check the manhole.
By the time they returned to the house another man was sitting in the living room and claimed he was there to help the first man.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 5 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 6 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 7 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 8 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
- 9 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 10 Huge response to plans for new Ipswich medical centre
The elderly man was distracted again when he was taken upstairs and the men then left.
It was not until later in the evening that it was found some money had been taken.
Both men were described as stocky with short dark hair and were wearing duffle coats and dark trousers.
The first man was around 5ft 11ins with curly hair, while the second was shorter at around 5ft 5ins, had cropped hair and was aged around 30 years old.
Anyone with information about the incident should call Dc Lloyd Stewart at Ipswich CID on 01473 383092 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.