New warning after bogus caller
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.
The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
Suffolk police are now warning elderly people to be extra vigilant and not to let anyone into their homes without checking their identification.
The incident happened in Cavan Road, Ipswich at around 5.20pm yesterday when the pensioner opened the door to a man who said there were problems with his neighbour's drains and they needed to check his drainage system as well.
You may also want to watch:
He let the man into his home and the pair got into conversation in the kitchen and before going into the garden to check the manhole.
By the time they returned to the house another man was sitting in the living room and claimed he was there to help the first man.
- 1 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 2 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 3 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 4 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 5 Waterfront restaurant with 145 wines crowned best in Ipswich
- 6 Former charity worker denies fraud and will face trial
- 7 Lloyds Bank branch closes temporarily as staff self-isolate due to Covid
- 8 CCTV images issued following theft from car in Ipswich
- 9 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 10 Police make third arrest following Nacton stabbing
The elderly man was distracted again when he was taken upstairs and the men then left.
It was not until later in the evening that it was found some money had been taken.
Both men were described as stocky with short dark hair and were wearing duffle coats and dark trousers.
The first man was around 5ft 11ins with curly hair, while the second was shorter at around 5ft 5ins, had cropped hair and was aged around 30 years old.
Anyone with information about the incident should call Dc Lloyd Stewart at Ipswich CID on 01473 383092 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.