New warning after bogus caller
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
ELDERLY people should be on their guard when two men conned their way into an Ipswich man's home and stole his money, police have warned.
The two men posing as drainage workers from the council distracted the 76-year-old man before taking cash and then leaving.
Suffolk police are now warning elderly people to be extra vigilant and not to let anyone into their homes without checking their identification.
The incident happened in Cavan Road, Ipswich at around 5.20pm yesterday when the pensioner opened the door to a man who said there were problems with his neighbour's drains and they needed to check his drainage system as well.
You may also want to watch:
He let the man into his home and the pair got into conversation in the kitchen and before going into the garden to check the manhole.
By the time they returned to the house another man was sitting in the living room and claimed he was there to help the first man.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
The elderly man was distracted again when he was taken upstairs and the men then left.
It was not until later in the evening that it was found some money had been taken.
Both men were described as stocky with short dark hair and were wearing duffle coats and dark trousers.
The first man was around 5ft 11ins with curly hair, while the second was shorter at around 5ft 5ins, had cropped hair and was aged around 30 years old.
Anyone with information about the incident should call Dc Lloyd Stewart at Ipswich CID on 01473 383092 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.