New yob crackdown
YOBBISH behaviour on an Ipswich estate has forced police to issue a dispersal order today - just two months after the last order ended.Officers will have the power to ask those gathering in parts of the Racecourse area who are causing intimidation or distress, to leave or face arrest.
YOBBISH behaviour on an Ipswich estate has forced police to issue a dispersal order today - just two months after the last order ended.
Officers will have the power to ask those gathering in parts of the Racecourse area who are causing intimidation or distress, to leave or face arrest.
The order follows two major disturbances on the estate in the last week and a half.
In the first, on Wednesday, May 10, a car was set on fire behind the Co-op store in Queens Way, leading to two arrests.
You may also want to watch:
In the second disturbance at about 11.30pm on Tuesday disorder erupted in the street when two incidents flared out of control and people left their houses and became involved.
Several arrests were made for public order offences and assaults.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 9 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Superintendent Tim Beach said: “Officers and members of the local authority have been aware of a build up of minor incidents of disorder since the last dispersal order in the area which ceased in March.
“We are aware that residents and shop keepers are extremely concerned and do not want to return to the situation we had in this area two years ago.
“We haven't got a crisis but we want to avoid one.”
The first dispersal order was issued in the Queens Way area in 2004 after several attacks on businesses and vehicles in the area and police said it did help to diminish problems in the area.
The latest order will be in affect from 4pm today and will cover the Queens Way, Kings Way and Shackleton Road area for six months.
Police have emphasised their powers will not be used to move along law abiding citizens and insist the aim is to deter youths from causing a nuisance.
Those under 16 will not be allowed in the area between the hours of 9pm and 6am without the effective control of an adult.
Those who fail to move on when directed could face up to six months in prison or a fine of up to £5,000.