Next mayor of Ipswich announced
IPSWICH'S next mayor is to be Penny Breakwell, who will take over from Richard Risebrow in May.Labour councillor Mrs Breakwell is currently borough executive member with responsibility for environment and transport.
IPSWICH'S next mayor is to be Penny Breakwell, who will take over from Richard Risebrow in May.
Labour councillor Mrs Breakwell is currently borough executive member with responsibility for environment and transport.
A local schoolteacher, she has been a member of the council since 1991.
She chaired the council's then environmental protection committee from 1993, taking over the environment and transport committee in 1996.
Mrs Breakwell, 56, is a teacher at St Helens Primary School working with children for whom English is a second language.
She said today that the theme of her year as mayor would be to highlight the cultural diversity of Ipswich.
- 1 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
Her husband, Andrew, will be mayor's consort during her year as first citizen.
"I am very much looking forward to the year. In my role as member of the executive I meet a lot of people, but I am sure that we will meet even more from a wider cross-section during the next year," she said.
Mrs Breakwell was nominated at last night's full meeting of Ipswich Council after seeing off a challenge from senior Conservative councillor Bill Wright who was nominated by his group.
She will be installed as Ipswich Mayor at the council's annual meeting in May.