No charge against man held over police impersonation claim
NO ACTION has been taken against a man who was arrested on suspicion of impersonating a police officer today. Suffolk Police said that the charges have been dropped against the man, who has been admitted to St Clements Hospital in Ipswich.
A MAN was being held in custody today on suspicion of impersonating a police officer following a bizarre string of events which saw motorists in Ipswich flagged down and one car rammed.
Suffolk police said they had arrested a man on suspicion of pretending to be one of their officers and flagging down passing cars following a spate of reports in the early hours of today.
Three drivers called police to say they had been stopped by a man in a blue Ford Focus who claimed to be a policeman.
The person was said to have driven up beside the cars and indicated that they should pull over.
When the motorists stopped the man is said to have asked them if they had been drink-driving.
A male driver then reported that his car had been rammed in Woodbridge Road East.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 5 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 6 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 9 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 10 Men charged with heroin and crack cocaine offences in Ipswich
Suffolk police said today that members of the public had reported being stopped in Felixstowe Road, Nacton Road and Woodbridge Road East between 11.55pm yesterday and 12.55am today.
One of the witnesses was able to give police a full description of the vehicle and they sent officers to look for the man.
Police today said a 54-year-old man from Ipswich had been arrested in Colchester Road.
He was expected to be interviewed today.
A police spokesman said: “A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of impersonating a police officer.
“He is in custody pending interview.”
Any one who saw someone pretending to be a police officer should call Pc Gary Buss of the force headquarters road policing unit on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Were you one of the drivers stopped? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org