No charge against man held over police impersonation claim
NO ACTION has been taken against a man who was arrested on suspicion of impersonating a police officer today. Suffolk Police said that the charges have been dropped against the man, who has been admitted to St Clements Hospital in Ipswich.
A MAN was being held in custody today on suspicion of impersonating a police officer following a bizarre string of events which saw motorists in Ipswich flagged down and one car rammed.
Suffolk police said they had arrested a man on suspicion of pretending to be one of their officers and flagging down passing cars following a spate of reports in the early hours of today.
Three drivers called police to say they had been stopped by a man in a blue Ford Focus who claimed to be a policeman.
The person was said to have driven up beside the cars and indicated that they should pull over.
You may also want to watch:
When the motorists stopped the man is said to have asked them if they had been drink-driving.
A male driver then reported that his car had been rammed in Woodbridge Road East.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 4 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 5 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 8 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
- 9 Anger as 'three to four large skips' of fly-tipped rubbish blocks road
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
Suffolk police said today that members of the public had reported being stopped in Felixstowe Road, Nacton Road and Woodbridge Road East between 11.55pm yesterday and 12.55am today.
One of the witnesses was able to give police a full description of the vehicle and they sent officers to look for the man.
Police today said a 54-year-old man from Ipswich had been arrested in Colchester Road.
He was expected to be interviewed today.
A police spokesman said: “A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of impersonating a police officer.
“He is in custody pending interview.”
Any one who saw someone pretending to be a police officer should call Pc Gary Buss of the force headquarters road policing unit on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Were you one of the drivers stopped? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com