No evidence found in chapel rape hunt
DETECTIVES investigating the rape of a teenage girl have today revealed they have found no evidence to support her claims.Police have spent the past week conducting house to house inquiries in Cotton, near Stowmarket, after a girl claimed she had been attacked in the grounds of a Methodist chapel.
DETECTIVES investigating the rape of a teenage girl have today revealed they have found no evidence to support her claims.
Police have spent the past week conducting house to house inquiries in Cotton, near Stowmarket, after a girl claimed she had been attacked in the grounds of a Methodist chapel.
Scenes of crime officers examined the scene and police carried out a thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the incident.
The rape is said to have taken place at the chapel on Broad Road at 4.20pm on Monday, September 27 but police have today confirmed their inquiries have failed to bring forward any supporting information from the public.
Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Mike Bacon said: "Rape committed by a stranger happens very rarely in Suffolk.
"Should any new information come to light in relation to this matter it will be investigated fully.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 7 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 8 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 9 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 10 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
"In the meantime we are taking all steps to ensure that the victim and her family receives help and support."
The incident is alleged to have happened when the girl was walking past the chapel in broad daylight. A man then got out of a parked blue car and pulled her into the grounds by her wrist.
He pushed her against a wall, raped her and then sped from the scene in the direction of Newton.