Nostalgia: Cyclists ready for Brighton
WELCOME to the latest instalment of our chronological look through the Star picture archives.
We are remembering the year 1991 and hope that these pictures spark some happy memories.
Among today’s pictures we have the Princess Royal on her tour of Thompson and Morgan at Copdock, cyclists who were taking part in the London to Brighton bike ride, St Matthew’s School athletics team, and youngsters with their swimming awards at Crown Pools in Ipswich.
Meanwhile Ipswich Star reader Tori Payne-Cook has written in with more information about a picture from 1989 we published on July 17.
She writes: “The photo bottom left is the Ipswich Hospital Drama Society’s publicity photo for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.
“Sadly my dad Tony died two years ago but his love for sports and the theatre live on in his daughter’s and grandchildren’s activities and a charitable trust we are in the process of establishing.
“Pat Taplin, who had a fabulous obituary written for her recently, was one of dad’s great friends and your late theatre critic Carol Carver usually had a comment or two on dad’s interesting ‘ad lib’ techniques.”
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
Thanks for the letter, Tori and, as ever, if you have any memories you wish to share with Ipswich Star readers, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
To buy a copy of any of these images visit www.ipswichstar.co.uk/myphotos24