Days Gone By: It was all hands on deck for Felixstowe Round Table’s raft races in 1988
- Credit: Archant
Felixstowe Round Table’s annual fundraising raft races were a spectacle for the hundreds of people who attended - and this event from 1988 was certainly no different.
These pictures taken from our archives show just how popular the event was, with hundreds of people lining the shore to watch as countless more took to the sea aboard their homemade rafts.
The races raised money for a number of the good causes supported by the Felixstowe Round Table, with vessels of all shapes and sizes taking to the water.
The Round Table groups are non-political associations open to men between the ages of 18 and 45, which support and raise money for good causes and charities.
The first group was founded in Norwich in 1927 by Louis Marchesi, and the Felixstowe Round Table started in November 1970.
You may also want to watch:
Did you take part in the Felixstowe Round Table’s raft races in Felixstowe in 1988?
To share your own pictures and memories with us, email our picture desk.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 3 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 6 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 7 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 8 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 9 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 10 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out