Days Gone By - Did you take part in Ipswich and Felixstowe raft races?
Did you take part in raft races in Ipswich and Felixstowe over the years - or were you one of the crowds lining the shore?
A series of races using makeshift vessels took place around Ipswich docks in the 1980s.
Our latest selection of archive photos shows how rafts of all shapes and sizes, constructed by community groups and teams, took to the water.
Meanwhile, Felixstowe Round Table’s raft race was a popular annual event, with hundreds turning out to cheer on the homemade vessels. Did you help to build one of the rafts featured here, in the 1980s and late 1970s?
The annual race, between the pier and the Spa Pavilion, ended because of the high cost of insurance. It was later revived for a time by the Lions Club.
You may also want to watch:
Do these photos bring back memories? Email email@example.com.
To order photos, visit www.eadt.co.uk/myphotos24, or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Ipswich hairdressers hoping to transform lives at new town centre salon
- 2 'A bridge too far' - Crane Sports boss Radnor speaks out as club pull out of League
- 3 'Quick-thinking' member of public spotted Felixstowe drink-driver
- 4 The Botanist looking for staff ahead of rumoured Ipswich opening
- 5 Drug line 'marketing manager' jailed for role in £33k-a-month dealing operation
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Couple rescue woman stuck in mud with help from their dog
- 10 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave