Days Gone By - Did you take part in Ipswich and Felixstowe raft races?
Did you take part in raft races in Ipswich and Felixstowe over the years - or were you one of the crowds lining the shore?
A series of races using makeshift vessels took place around Ipswich docks in the 1980s.
Our latest selection of archive photos shows how rafts of all shapes and sizes, constructed by community groups and teams, took to the water.
Meanwhile, Felixstowe Round Table’s raft race was a popular annual event, with hundreds turning out to cheer on the homemade vessels. Did you help to build one of the rafts featured here, in the 1980s and late 1970s?
The annual race, between the pier and the Spa Pavilion, ended because of the high cost of insurance. It was later revived for a time by the Lions Club.
You may also want to watch:
Do these photos bring back memories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To order photos, visit www.eadt.co.uk/myphotos24, or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder