Nostalgia: Strictly ballroom back in ‘83
This week we have come to 1983 and brought you these images.
This week on our journey we have found images of Lait School of Dancing winners with their trophies, the Ipswich Gang Show in April, free Easter rides at Mannings in Felixstowe and Olympic shot putt star Geoff Capes coaching at Northgate Sports Centre.
We also found images of the Palm Sunday parade of Trinity Church, Felixstowe, Bramford Brownies with their kneeler, a netball course at Northgate Sports Centre and Easter Egg competion winners pictured with their prizes.
Are you in any of these pictures? Drop us a line.
Meanwhile, we have heard from Star reader Graham Wells who recognised a picture, above right, from 1982 printed last week.
He writes: “I have just seen the photo of the hockey in the Star nostalgia section. This was Nacton Heath school that later became Hollywells.
“I helped to organise this along with some of the others shown. It was a 24-hour sponsored indoor hockey event that we ran to raise money for Mencap.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 6 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 7 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 8 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 9 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
“Myself and Susan Nears were asked to go and present the cheque to Brian Rix, who at the time was the lead patron for Mencap.
“The teacher shown is Mr Jay (John) who was our head of year if I remember correctly.
“It was a fantastic event where the memories have stayed with me for all the years.
“Thanks for using this picture. I now live in Southend so have lost touch with many of the people on the photo although I am in contact with a few via Facebook.”
If you have any memories you wish to share with Star readers, email us at email@example.com
To buy a copy of one of these photos, select the myphotos24 link top left.