Oh Danny Boy - to wed on Monday
FEMALE hearts across the region are set to break when their favourite bachelor finally ties the knot.Daniel O'Donnel will marry Majella McClelland, a 41-year-old divorced mother of two, in his home village of Kincasslagh on Ireland's west coast on Monday.
FEMALE hearts across the region are set to break when their favourite bachelor finally ties the knot.
Daniel O'Donnel will marry Majella McClelland, a 41-year-old divorced mother of two, in his home village of Kincasslagh on Ireland's west coast on Monday.
But the 40-year-old is remaining dedicated to his fans until the very last minute and tonight, only a few days before he weds, he will give his last performance as a single man at Norwich's Theatre Royal. He will resume touring again on December 13 as a married man.
Speaking at the first of his two shows at the theatre last night he said: "The wedding is on Monday so when I get back it will be rest and sleep.
You may also want to watch:
"It won't be a celebrity wedding – just a few friends and family."
When asked about the reaction of his fans to the fact he is giving up his bachelor life he added: "Maybe some of them are disappointed but realistically speaking, everybody knows that everybody has a life and that is just how it is."
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
Daniel enjoys a closer relationship with his fans than arguably any other performer and as a result is an immensely popular star across the country, not least so in Ipswich.
Every announcement that the Irish star is coming to town encourages women to pitch tents outside the Regent and camp out for several nights to buy tickets. And all his performances in town over the years have been full to capacity – not an empty seat in the house.
He is not a regular in the UK charts but Daniel has sold more than five million albums and 1.5 million videos. He has enjoyed 15 top 40 singles, 13 top 40 albums and 13 top 40 videos.
But success has never gone to his head. Despite his phenomenal achievements he continues to grant his ardent fans personal access, such as inviting them for tea at his home and meeting them after the shows.
Even with a ring on his wedding finger, he will inevitably remain as popular as ever.