Days Gone By: From working dock to leisure hub: the changing face of Ipswich Waterfront
Ipswich Dock was completed in 1842. The Royal Assent from Queen Victoria for the Ipswich Dock Act was received in June 1837.
The plan was to build a dock where ships could float regardless of the tide. A channel, New Cut, was dug to take the flow of the River Orwell past the dock, which was built enclosing a natural bend in the river.
By the late 1970s much of the trade had moved from the dock and the area was redeveloped into a mostly residential and leisure area, with marinas, offices and flats opening around once busy quays where coal, grain and timber was unloaded.
The university building stands where Eastern Counties Farmers had a large grain silo.
In todays Days Gone By I have taken a look through some of the many photographs taken of the area that record the changes to the area of Ipswich now known as the Waterfront.
You may also want to watch:
Did you work at the dock or visit the area when it was busy trading? To submit a letter, in less than 300 words, write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 7 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 8 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate