Old lamps light up museum
THIS event is set to brighten up your evening for sure.For the 11th year running, Ipswich Transport Museum will be illuminated with hundreds of old paraffin and oil lamps tonightfor its Wheels by Lamplight event.
THIS event is set to brighten up your evening for sure.
For the 11th year running, Ipswich Transport Museum will be illuminated with hundreds of old paraffin and oil lamps tonightfor its Wheels by Lamplight event.
Lamp enthusiasts from far and wide are due to attend the event, which takes place between 7pm and 9pm, at the museum on Cobham Road, in Priory Heath.
Harold Landin, a lamp collector from Foxhall Road, is one of the enthusiasts who will have some of his prized possessions on display tonight.
He first got interested in lamps 15 years ago after discovering some of his fellow members of North East Essex Tractor Engine Club were collectors.
Mr Landin, 72, said: “A couple of the members of the club were involved in the church and I went along to see these lamps. It was a real spectacle.
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 4 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
- 8 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
- 10 35 more of Suffolk’s oldest surnames – is yours on the list?
“Our club visited Ipswich Transport Musuem one year and we got talking about our collection and that's how the event came about.
“At the moment, I've got about 200 or 300 lamps. I mostly pick them up from car boot sales and store them all over the house and in the garage-anywhere which has a flat surface.
“I look forward to this event from the minute it finishes one year to the moment it starts again the following year.”
Hundreds of people are expected to turn up for the event as there have been several pre-bookings made already. Anyone interested in attending should arrive early to avoid disappointment.
The event is not suitable for children.
Have you got an interesting hobby? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.