On guard as the British Fencing Championship comes to Ipswich in 1987
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich was host of the British Fencing Championship in 1987.
On Guard, Allez, Fret are words that are commonly used in fencing, and in 1987 Ipswich hosted the British Fencing Championship.
Competitive fencing is one of the five activities which have been featured in every modern Olympic Games, the other four being athletics, cycling, swimming, and gymnastics.
Pictures that were captured on the day show the competitors in action duelling it out for the championship in Ipswich, wearing full fencing gear - a white jacket, body and mask cords - to protect them from the swords.
Have you ever thought about taking up sword fencing? In Ipswich you can go to the Ipswich Fencing Club, which caters to beginners, intermediate and expert fencers from the ages of 10 and upwards.
You may also want to watch:
The club is one of the oldest in Suffolk and has been running for over 30 years. During this time it has organised and hosted a wide variety of competitions at both local and national level.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison