Optometrist charged with manslaughter of eight-year-old Ipswich boy
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
An eye specialist has appeared in court accused of the manslaughter of an eight-year-old boy from Ipswich.
Locum optometrist Honey Rose is accused of killing Vincent Barker by gross negligence on July 13, 2013.
The 34-year-old was summonsed to attend South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich yesterday afternoon for the first hearing of her case and to be formally charged.
During the five-minute hearing clerk of the court Richard Newman read out the allegation and asked Rose to confirm her name, address and date of birth.
Prosecutor Hilary Reeve requested that the two sitting magistrates send the matter to crown court.
Mrs Reeve said Rose, of Milton Avenue, Newham, east London, had been summonsed to court and that the prosecution would be happy for her to be on unconditional bail until her next hearing.
No representations or pleas were made or entered on Rose’s behalf.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 3 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 4 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 5 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 6 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 7 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 10 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
Chairman of the bench David Broughton committed the case to Ipswich Crown Court and told Rose her preliminary hearing would take place on Thursday next week.
A provisional trial window was also given as between January 25 and March 4 next year.
At the conclusion of the hearing Rose was released on unconditional bail.
Vincent Barker was a pupil at Dale Hall Primary School in Ipswich.
He died at home in Henley Road at 8.30pm on Friday, July 13, 2013, after it is understood he was taken ill at school.
The eight-year-old was also keen footballer and played for the Under-8 team at Whitton United.
Shortly after Vincent’s death Reverend Andrew Dotchin, then-Rector of Whitton with Thurleston and Akenham, said: “There have been lots of tears shed, immense sadness and great shock.
“It has reverberated throughout the community. Everyone has been touched by how terribly tragic it is.
“Parents have been hugging their children close and sending their thoughts and prayers to the family at this awful time.”