Orwell Bridge CLOSED – with more high winds to come tomorrow
- Credit: MICK WEBB
Highways England has closed the Orwell Bridge this evening due to safety concerns over high winds.
In a statement, Highways England advised motorists across Suffolk that the bridge is expected to remain closed until 11pm this evening.
A spokesman said: "Road users in the east of England are being advised that the Orwell Bridge in Suffolk will be closed from 7pm tonight (Monday 13 January) for safety reasons, due to high winds, and is expected to remain closed until around 11pm tonight.
"Highways England will continue to monitor wind speeds closely before making a further decision about when to reopen the bridge based on the safety of road users."
Road management specialists have been monitoring wind speeds throughout the afternoon, and confirmed the closure at 5pm.
Highways England will be continuing to monitor the wind speeds tomorrow, when gusts are supposed to increase.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman added: "Met Office forecasts are warning of further strong winds on Tuesday evening and at other times during the week.
"The bridge will only be closed when it is essential for safety reasons and for as short a time as possible. Drivers are advised to look out for further information on twitter at @highwaysEAST."
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 10 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
The planned diversion route is via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich which are "clearly" sign-posted.
Drivers planning to travel are encouraged to plan their journey in advance and check the latest weather and traffic conditions along the route.
An update is expected after 11pm.