Orwell Bridge to close at 10am
- Credit: Archant
Drivers have been told the Orwell Bridge will now close at 10am this morning, missing the morning rush hour.
Highways England had originally said the bridge was likely to close at 8.30am, believing that wind speeds were due to pick up as traffic hit its peak period this morning.
But following a teleconference with the Met Office, Highways England have made the decision to close the bridge at 10am.
This follows news that wind speeds are expect to peak at between 50 and 55mph between 10am and 2am today.
They will continue to closely monitor wind speeds and will reopen the bridge as sopon as it is safe to do so.
You may also want to watch:
Currently winds are below threshold and as a result, the bridge is still open in both directions.
When the Orwell Bridge does close, the planned diversion route would be via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich.
- 1 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 2 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 6 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 7 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 8 Future of Swarovski in Buttermarket not crystal clear
- 9 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out
- 10 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
This plan regularly results in gridlock around Ipswich.
Highways officials say they continue to monitor wind speeds on the bridge.
The organisation says it will let motorists know of any decisions as soon as possible via social media.
Fears that the bridge would be forced to close due to strong winds were first raised yesterday.
Stay with us for more updates as they come in.