Orwell Bridge to close at 9pm tonight and not likely to reopen before tomorrow’s rush hour
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The Orwell Bridge will be closed from 9pm tonight due to high winds and is not likely to reopen before tomorrow morning’s rush hour.
Highways England says it will continue to monitor wind speeds closely before making a decision about when to reopen the bridge, based on the safety of road users.
It is uncertain what time the bridge will reopen tomorrow morning but it is likely to be closed during the peak morning travel time, which will cause significant traffic congestion.
A statement from Highways England said: “Once the Orwell Bridge is closed, the planned diversion route is via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich.
Drivers planning to travel are encouraged to plan their journey in advance and check the latest weather and traffic conditions along the route. You can get the latest forecast from BBC weather, the Met Office, and local radio.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers making journeys across the region should be aware of sudden gusts of wind, and give high-sided vehicles, caravans, motorbikes and bicycles plenty of space.”
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer