Overturned lorry finally removed
A LORRY was recovered from a major Suffolk road early today after it caused traffic chaos when it overturned.Motorists faced huge queues all the way into Ipswich after yesterday's accident on the Copdock roundabout linking the A12 and A14.
A LORRY was recovered from a major Suffolk road early today after it caused traffic chaos when it overturned.
Motorists faced huge queues all the way into Ipswich after yesterday's accident on the Copdock roundabout linking the A12 and A14.
The lorry overturned shortly after 3pm yesterday, blocking one lane of the A12 and closing the A14 completely for five hours between 8.45pm and 2am today while it was removed from the scene.
The driver of the lorry suffered minor leg injuries in the crash but was not seriously hurt when the accident happened at the start of the London-bound stretch of the A12.
Police officers attended the scene after calls from passing motorists about the chaotic travel conditions.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “It got very busy but it was passable, only one lane was blocked.
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 4 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 7 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 8 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 9 Suffolk headteacher criticises school rankings
- 10 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
“There was quite a bit of congestion because of the blocked lane.
“It was affecting traffic right back into Ipswich town centre.”
At 8.45pm police officers closed the A14 between Whitehouse and Copdock while the lorry was recovered.
Once it had been up-righted the lorry needed to be unloaded before it could be completely removed and the road was not reopened until 2am.
Were you caught up in the travel chaos? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.