Owner of Unruly Pig in Bromeswell eager to rebuild fire-ravaged pub
PUBLISHED: 11:52 24 June 2015 | UPDATED: 11:52 24 June 2015
The owner of a village pub which was devastated by a fire in the early hours of yesterday morning has pledged to “rebuild and resurrect” his business.
Part of the roof of the Unruly Pig in Bromeswell, near Woodbridge, fell in during the incident and the fire service reported that about a third of the building’s interior was destroyed.
The blaze was reported at about 2.15am and saw 50 firefighters sent to the scene – an outbuilding next to a large gas tank, which was venting flames high into the air, also sustained damage.
Speaking last night, pub owner Brendan Padfield reassured the public that the pub will be returning.
He said: “All of the team at The Unruly Pig are devastated by the fire that occurred in the early hours of the morning.
“We have just had one of our most successful weeks so to be confronted by flames coming from the roof this morning was to say the least traumatic.
“It would appear the fire was caused by an electrical fault in our walk-in fridge which then ignited a gas propane tank.
“I would like to pay tribute to our wonderful emergency services, particularly Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service.
“Our team has been overwhelmed by the support and good wishes of so many of our customers and friends.
“We now regroup, rebuild and resurrect The Unruly Pig to come back even stronger.”
Before being taken over by Mr Padfield the pub was known as The British Larder. Before that it was The Cherry Tree.
Fire crews from Woodbridge, Ipswich, Leiston, Saxmundham and Aldeburgh were sent to the fire, including an aerial ladder platform.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service station commander Steve Rhind said the fire is thought to have started from an “outside structure”.
“Once we were able to get inside the building we were able to stop the fire spreading and damp it down.
“On my arrival crews were just beginning to get to work and we found we had a large propane cylinder which began to vent off.
“Because of that we took defensive measures, we withdrew, we kept jets on the main propane bullet to keep it cool and stop an explosion and once that had died down we were able to go and fight the fire in the pub itself.”
Rob Cutts, clerk of Bromeswell Parish Council, said the pub building dated from either the 15th or 16th century.
“It’s a very old building and it has been around probably since Napoleonic War days. The pub has changed hands recently and the village as a whole were welcoming the new people in the community.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.