Owners pleased with town's bingo upgrade
BINGO players in Felixstowe have a state-of-the-art venue in which to enjoy their past-time thanks to a £1million investment in the building.The project at the Palace in Crescent Road began two years ago and the owners are thrilled with the work done so far.
BINGO players in Felixstowe have a state-of-the-art venue in which to enjoy their past-time thanks to a £1million investment in the building.
The project at the Palace in Crescent Road began two years ago and the owners are thrilled with the work done so far.
Now they are preparing to start on the next phase - a complete overhaul of the venue's cinema, including putting in a lift to provide access for people with disabilities.
Patrick Duffy, managing director of owners Palatial Leisure, said: “The work on the bingo hall is just about finished and it has gone really well. It looks really nice and everyone is very pleased.
You may also want to watch:
“We just have the entrance to do now, and then we shall start on the next phase, the cinema, which will not be a long project.
“It is a big investment for Felixstowe and we feel it is something very positive for the town, its residents and visitors.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 4 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 6 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 7 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 10 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
“We wanted to provide a big plus, and also to make sure that what we did really improve the Palace here and made it a nice place to visit and as comfortable as possible.”
The refurbishment inside has included the main bingo hall with a major project to level the floor, complete decoration and new toilets. The outside of the building has also been painted.
Outside, a modern shelter has been provided for smokers, where they can still play their bingo game as they smoke.
Mr Duffy said: “At the moment about 50per cent of our customers smoke so it is important that we provide somewhere they can smoke and play - though in winter most of them are going to want to be back inside fairly quickly.
“I think two or three years down the line it will be very different and we may see a lot of people giving up.”
Mr Duffy still has long-term plans for further development at the Palace and permission to build a hotel on the car park on the corner of Cobbold Road and Crescent Road.
What do you think of the improvements to the bingo hall? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk.