Pair jailed after nurse threatened with knife in carjacking in Sproughton Road, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Two young men who threatened a woman motorist with a knife during a carjacking in Ipswich have been locked up for a total of more than 10 years.
The nurse, who is in her 50s, was travelling to work along Sproughton Road in Ipswich at around 8.30am on October 29 when Kieron Cotterell and Taylor Cobbold stepped out into the road in front of her from behind some bushes, forcing her to stop, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Cobbold stood in front of the Fiat Punto to stop her driving off while Cotterell, who was holding a knife, went to the driver’s door and ordered the terrified woman to get out of the car.
He then got behind the wheel of the car while Cobbold climbed into the passenger seat and they drove off in the car, which was written off during the incident.
Cobbold, 20, of Winchester Way, Ipswich, admitted two offences of robbery and allowing himself to be carried in a stolen car and was sentenced to 64 months’ youth detention and banned from driving for 44 months.
Cotterell, 18, of Anglesea Road, Ipswich, admitted drink driving, driving without insurance and without a licence, two offences of robbery, aggravated vehicle taking and possession of a blade. He was sentenced to 64 months’ youth detention and banned from driving for 56 months.
Sentencing them, Judge Martyn Levett said the knifepoint carjacking must have been very frightening for the victim and said the incident had had a lasting impact on her.
- 1 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 2 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 5 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 6 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 7 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 8 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
He said on September 9 last year, the defendants had robbed a vulnerable 24-year-old man in Stowmarket of £3 and his mobile phone.
Jonathan Goodman, representing Cotterell, said his client had gone from “zero criminal behaviour to very serious matters”.
He said no effort was made to physically hurt the woman in the car and since the offences he had tried to turn his life round.
Nicola May, representing Cobbold, said the offences before the court represented an escalation in his offending.
She said Cobbold didn’t know Cotterell had a knife and was shocked when he saw him with it during the carjacking.