Pair tagged for vicious assault

TWO vicious thugs who kicked a man in the head until he was senseless after a drinking session in an Ipswich nightclub have been ordered to pay for their victim's injuries.

TWO thugs who kicked a man senseless after a drinking session in an Ipswich nightclub have been ordered to pay for their victim's injuries.

John Bull and William Lynch narrowly avoided jail for the unprovoked attack on David Martin after they left Kartouche in the early hours of October 18.

But 19-year-old catering assistant Lynch was told to pay £100 for the bruises he inflicted on his victim, £50 for his abrasions, £100 for the tooth he chipped.

Bull, 20, was ordered to pay £100 for his victim's cut ear and £100 for his cuts and abrasions.

You may also want to watch:

Both men will be electronically tagged, placed on a three-month overnight curfew and made to complete 180 hours community punishment order.

Bench chairman Graham Barnett at South East Suffolk Magistrate's Court said: "Given the serious nature of this attack, the fact there were kicks to the head involved, and there has been nothing offered in mitigation, we could have given a custodial sentence."

Most Read

South East Suffolk magistrates heard how Lynch, from Angel Steet, Hadleigh, and Bull, of Straight Road, Polstead Heath, were on their way home when they received a call that more of their friends had arrived at Kartouche.

Both men admitted the charge of common assault.

Defending, Roger Stewart said: "Three of them came into Ipswich and were at the club until 2am. In that time Lynch had a lot to drink. He was letting off steam because he is not a habitual drinker.

"The third man was not drinking and drove them home along Ranelagh Road as he planned to cut through the Chantry estate to get petrol at Tesco.

"When they received the call to go back to the club they turned the car round and spotted a group of youths walking in the opposite direction."

Prosecutor Rosalind Clark said: "The car stopped and a male approached Mr Martin and punched him, making him fall backwards onto the floor.

"A second male approached and kicked him in the head. He then kicked him in the head again."

As a result of the attack Mr Martin suffered bruising and restricted movement in a shoulder.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter